Cybersecurity is a top priority for businesses of all sizes. Cyberattacks are becoming increasingly sophisticated in today’s digital world, and you must be prepared to defend your organization.
According to the FBI, CIA, and Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), the following are some of the top cybersecurity trends to watch out for in 2024:
- Increased use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) in cyberattacks: Attackers increasingly use AI and ML to automate their attacks, making them more challenging to detect.
- Better targeting of supply chains: Attackers are increasingly targeting supply chains to gain access to sensitive data and systems.
- More ransomware: These attacks involve encrypting a business’s data and demanding a ransom payment for the decryption key.
- Intensified use of social engineering: Social engineering attacks involve manipulating people into revealing sensitive information or performing actions that could compromise their security.
- Compounded targeting of critical infrastructure: Attackers increasingly target power grids and transportation systems to disrupt essential services.
What you can do to Protect your Organization from Cyberattacks
- Implement a layered security approach: This involves using a variety of security controls to protect your business from cyberattacks, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and security awareness training for your employees.
- Keep your software updated: Software updates often include security patches that can help protect your systems from known vulnerabilities.
- Back up your data regularly: If you are an e-commerce business, backups should be daily. Other types of businesses should be weekly.
- Educate your employees about cybersecurity: Your employees are your first defense against cyberattacks. Educate them about the latest threats and how to protect themselves.
- Have a plan for responding to a cyberattack: If your business is attacked, you need to have a plan for responding to and recovering from the attack.
- Consider hiring a cybersecurity consultant: That person can help you assess your security posture and develop a security plan.
- Use cloud-based security solutions: Cloud-based security solutions such as Azure and AWS put you in a much better position to reduce hacking and improve recoverability.
By following these tips, businesses of all sizes can protect themselves from cyberattacks.
“No matter what the size of your company or organization you need to have a cybersecurity protection game plan in place!”Timothy Dimoff, President and Founder of SACS Consulting and Investigative Services, Inc.