In today's stressed-out society, aggressive behavior and violence in the workplace (aka bullying) have the potential to occur on any given day. This kind of disruptive behavior can cost employers up to $180 million per year in lost time and productivity. It can also increase the risk of litigation, turnover, absenteeism, and overall healthcare costs due to increased stress on the job. Therefore, make sure your organization can respond to these types of behavior and not be forced only to react after the damage.
What is aggressive, threatening, disruptive, or violent behavior? It is inappropriate behavior that interferes with the functioning and flow of the workplace. It can include physical actions, actual contact, injury, verbal or written threats to co-workers, and implicit threats. Violent behavior consists of physical assault, with or without weapons or specific threats to inflict bodily harm.
What are behavior warning signs that employers can look for in their employees?
- Verbal abuse with co-workers and managers, including sarcasm or poor relationships with customers, co-workers, supervisors, or others
- Very controlling personality
- Blaming others for problems in life or work; being suspicious, holding grudges
- Persistent complaining to anyone at work which will listen
- Constantly challenging or resisting authority
- Destruction of company and co-workers' property
- Becoming upset and reactionary over the recent event(s) (work or personal crisis)
- Withdrawing from normal job activities and withdrawing from family, friends, and co-workers
- Making a significant change in lifestyle, demeanor, or appearance
Educating employees and managers regarding the ways to identify and address disruptive behaviors will be a vital key to a safer work environment.
SACS Consulting & Investigative Services, Inc. can help your organization appropriately respond to aggressive behavior and violence in the workplace by establishing proven HR Policies specializing in this area of concern. Contact us to speak with one of our HR Policies specialists today!